There are some easy things to keep in mind while you have fun in the garden to help the aches and pain:
- When performing any activity always engage your core, by simply tucking your tailbone towards your pubic bone. This helps take the strain off your back and neck.
- When picking up something from the ground, avoid bending over. Squat or come down on one knee.
- Next bring the object as close to your body as possible.
- To stand, engage your core and push your feet into the ground while holding onto your object.
- Work in a small area at a time.
- Relocate your position so your work area is always directly in front of you. This will avoid over reaching which puts strain on your back.
- Take breaks.
- Stay hydrated. Keep a water bottle nearby.
- And most important have fun!
If it feels overwhelming to think about all of this, try practicing one or two things at a time until you feel comfortable. Slowly add in tips or practice different ones each time you garden or do yard work. You may find some to be more helpful than others.